The Victorian Government’s work-from-home advisory will end on Friday at 11.59pm and masks will no longer be needed in most indoor settings, including offices.
Health Minister Martin Foley announced the changes this morning, flagging declining COVID-19 hospitalisations and an increase in third dose vaccination rates as the reason.
Masks will only be required on public transport, in taxis and rideshare, on planes, indoors at airports and when visiting hospitals or indoor care facilities.
Some workers will still be required to wear masks, such as in hospitality, retail, court, justice and correctional facility roles.
Students in year three or above at primary school and workers at primary schools and early childhood centres must still wear masks – different from secondary schools where they are no longer required.
Premier Daniel Andrews addressed the changes to restrictions today, explaining masks were still required in primary schools as vaccination rates were lower in that age group.
Mr Andrews said vaccination rates were higher among secondary school students.
“We were given advice for grade three and up and that is exactly what we’ve done,” he said.
Staff working at an indoor event with more than 30,000 people attending will also be required to wear masks.
The government said masks are recommended for other workers serving or facing members of the public, such as at receptions, when meeting guests or serving customers.
Full list of mask rules
Masks will only be required indoors in the following circumstances unless an exemption applies:
• People on public transport, in taxis and rideshare, on planes, and indoors at an airport
• People working or visiting hospitals, and indoor areas at care facilities
• Workers in hospitality, retail and the court system
• Workers at justice and correctional facilities
• Students in year three or above at primary school, and workers at early childhood centres and primary schools – masks can be removed in secondary school
• People working indoors at an event with more than 30,000 people attending