The 17-year-old ride worker who was killed in a stabbing at the Sydney Royal Easter Show has been identified as Uati Faletolu.
Faletolu was fatally stabbed in the chest in what police described as a planned confrontation between two groups of youths at about 8 pm on Monday night.
Another teen, aged 16, caught up in the brawl was also stabbed and suffered a leg injury.
A 15-year-old boy was charged with offences linked to the brawl and was released on bail on the condition he does not come within one kilometre of the showgrounds at Homebush.
NSW Police do not believe he was responsible for the stabbing and are still looking for those responsible.
“We believe there is someone we still need to identify who is responsible for the stabbing,” Superintendent Danielle Emerton said yesterday.
“It may be one person, it may be multiple people.”
She called for people who had been at the show that night who may have footage of the incident to come forward to police.
The Royal Agricultural Society of NSW (RAS) has announced additional security and safety measures, including heightening the police presence and “increasing the visibility of metal detectors” to avoid any further violence occurring at the show.
The RAS said the main carnival will reopen today.
The general manager of the Sydney Royal Easter Show, Murray Wilton, said he received a phone call about “one minute past eight” last night about the fight.
“I, and my CEO, made our way directly to that area. Police and ambulance had already arrived, they got to the scene probably within about two minutes,” he told 2GB’s Jim Wilson.
“It was an horrific experience for everybody.”
Mr Wilton was asked how someone would be able to bring a knife, which appears to be quite large based on videos shared online, into the showgrounds.
“How do you get a knife into a complex like this? You would think that it would be difficult, but, things can be thrown over the fence, a knife doesn’t necessarily have to be made out of metal, so it’s not going to be detected by metal detectors,” he said.
He added it would be “impossible to physically pat down or search every person” with about 77,000 people coming through the gates yesterday.
Mr Wilton also said organisers are “tired” of young people – not children but teenagers – using the show to sort out their personal differences.