Residential STRA properties must be registered on the NSW Government STRA register before 1 November 2021. This applies to residential accommodation such as houses, units and terraces. It does not apply to caravans, tents, moveable dwellings, eco-tourist facilities and alpine resorts.
The newSTRA planning policy starting on 1 November brings new obligations for booking platforms, hosts, letting agents and guests. This includes limits on the number of days a non-hosted STRA property can be let per year and new fire and safety requirements.
Non-hosted STRA means short-term rental accommodation provided where the host does not reside on the premises during the provision of the accommodation.
It will be an offence for hosts to let their properties after 1 November if they are not registered before they are let out. Penalties apply.
These new laws are part of the STRA regulatory framework which includes the mandatory The Code of Conduct was introduced to better manage and address anti-social behaviour, impacts to amenity and other issues experienced by neighbours and communities.
- Hosts must register their property using their Service NSW login. The property will need to be registered before it is rented after 1 November. Instructions about how to create a NSW Planning Portal login are available on the webpage. Alternatively, you can register your client’s property on their behalf provided you have their written consent.
- Completed STRA registrations will be issued with a STRA Property ID number (STRA-PID-XXXX) which must be displayed on an online property listing.
- Check whether there are any limits on the number of days per year allowed for STRA in the relevant council area and comply with these requirements. Note: this only applies to non-hosted properties.
- Once the property is registered, the number of days the property is booked can be manually recorded.
- the premises are registered on the STRA register, and
- the registration number for the premises is displayed alongside the details of the premises, wherever the premises details are displayed.