Monday, June 14, 2021

Roger Federer withdraws from French Open 2021 to focus on Wimbledon title

Roger Federer said Sunday he was withdrawing from the French Open despite having reached the fourth round, opting to focus on his primary objective of winning a ninth Wimbledon title. Federer, a 20-time Grand Slam title winner, who will be 40 in two months’ time, battled over three and a half hours until 12:45 Sunday morning to reach the last 16 with a 7-6 (7/5), 6-7 (3/7), 7-6 (7/4), 7-5 win over 59th-ranked Dominik Koepfer. “After discussions with my team, I’ve decided I will need to pull out of Roland Garros today,” the 39-year-old said.

“After two knee surgeries and over a year of rehabilitation it’s important that I listen to my body and make sure I don’t push myself too quickly on my road to recovery.

“I am thrilled to have gotten three matches under my belt. There is no greater feeling than being back on court.”

He was due back on court on Monday to tackle Matteo Berrettini for a place in the quarter-finals.

MUST READ  'Captain Amarinder Singh to lay foundation for commencing construction work of ’varsity building on October 25'

However, having undergone two knee surgeries in 2020, the Swiss star had admitted there were doubts over whether he’d make it.

Federer is playing only his third tournament since last year’s Australian Open and has always said Wimbledon is his main goal.

He is chasing a ninth title at Wimbledon which starts on June 28.

He is also scheduled to play the warm-up grass court tournament in Halle beginning on June 14, the day after the French Open ends.

Federer, who made his Roland Garros debut in 1999 and was champion in 2009, was playing a night session for the first time in his third round tie.

However, the almost empty 15,000-capacity Court Philippe Chatrier was eerily silent due to a Covid-19 curfew.

It is likely that this was Federer’s final appearance at the tournament. His return this year was only his second participation since 2015.

MUST READ  French Open: Novak Djokovic gives Rafael Nadal his 3rd defeat in 16 yrs
MUST READ  IPL 2020 | CSK beat Kings XI by 10 wickets

“The Roland Garros tournament is sorry about the withdrawal of Roger Federer, who put up an incredible fight last night,” said Guy Forget, the tournament director.

“We were all delighted to see Roger back in Paris, where he played three high-level matches. We wish him all the best for the rest of the season.”

After winning his match, Federer said that he was pacing himself in his recovery.

“All the matches I’ve played since the injury are information for the rest of the season,” he added.

“It gives me great pleasure to be able to play 3hr 30min at a high level against a very good player. It shows that I’m on the right track.”

His performance won rave reviews from rivals following the match on television.

Latest news

Haryana further extends Lockdown till June 21, shops to stay open longer than before

The Haryana government on Sunday extended the statewide Covid-induced lockdown by a week, till June 21, allowing a few relaxations amid a dip in...

Nobody muzzled Bengal minister’s voice at GST Council Meet: Anurag Thakur

Minister of State (MoS) in the Finance Ministry Anurag Thakur has categorically dismissed the remarks of West Bengal Finance Minister Amit Mitra, who claimed...

Aussie swimmer breaks world record post father’s death trauma

Aussie Kaylee McKeown says the death of her father 10-months-ago inspired her to break the 100-metre backstroke world record on Sunday at the Australian...

Jalandhar man on a mission to provide books for children in villages

26-yr-old Mandeep Singh from Sultanpur Lodhi, Jalandhar, has a mission in life. Although secure with in a government job, he is working tirelessly to...

Related news

MUST READ  Over $ 4 mn pumped into NSW community sport

Haryana further extends Lockdown till June 21, shops to stay open longer than before

The Haryana government on Sunday extended the statewide Covid-induced lockdown by a week, till June 21, allowing a few relaxations amid a dip in...

Nobody muzzled Bengal minister’s voice at GST Council Meet: Anurag Thakur

Minister of State (MoS) in the Finance Ministry Anurag Thakur has categorically dismissed the remarks of West Bengal Finance Minister Amit Mitra, who claimed...

Aussie swimmer breaks world record post father’s death trauma

Aussie Kaylee McKeown says the death of her father 10-months-ago inspired her to break the 100-metre backstroke world record on Sunday at the Australian...

Jalandhar man on a mission to provide books for children in villages

26-yr-old Mandeep Singh from Sultanpur Lodhi, Jalandhar, has a mission in life. Although secure with in a government job, he is working tirelessly to...

Shops, malls, restaurants to reopen in Delhi

Shops, malls and restaurants in Delhi will open from Monday as Covid numbers in the national capital drop to a three-month low. Shops will...

WATCH birthday girl Disha Patani auditioning for an ad in a throwback video

Before she made waves in Bollywood, Disha Patani was often seen in small-screen commercials. Now she has been romancing superstars like Tiger Shroff, Salman...

AFL: David Mackay might not be banned after ‘sickening’ bump

Four-time premiership Hawk Jordan Lewis says Adelaide veteran David Mackay shouldn’t be suspended, despite a heavy collision with Hunter Clark that left the young...

Victoria Premier Daniel Andrews to get back to work in two weeks

Victoria Premier Daniel Andrews has revealed he will return to work on Monday, June 28, three months after being hospitalised by a fall. Mr Andrews...