‘Life-threatening flood emergency’ in Sydney

Sydney residents are facing a “life-threatening flood emergency” with thousands of people forced to leave their homes and over a hundred rescues.
Dozens of evacuation orders were triggered on Sunday, spanning from the south-west to north-west of the city.
Rivers are expected to rise higher than the past three devastating floods, which hit as recently as March and April.
Windsor on the Hawkesbury River in the city’s north-west is in the firing line again as the river rises as much as 1–1.5 metres an hour today.
More torrential rain, and damaging winds, are on the way into Monday.
Parts of the state have already had a months’ rainfall in just hours, with the heaviest rain in 30 years falling in some areas.
“We are now facing dangers on multiple fronts,” Emergency Services Minister Steph Cooke, said.
“Flash flooding, riverine flooding, and coastal erosion.”
The Windsor Bridge, which spans the overflowing Hawkesbury River, is already closed, and was about half a metre from going under tonight.
North Richmond Bridge was among others shut on Sunday morning.
There were fears flooding could worsen with Georges River set to hit high tide at midnight.
The Nepean River at Penrith was also surging, with low-lying areas nearby given evacuation warnings.
Parts of Camden and Chipping Norton have already gone underwater.
Residents in parts of Woronora, Georges Hall, Lansvale, Moorebank, Warwick Farm and Emu Plains are among those affected as an overnight deluge hit swollen waterways.
A woman had to be rescued from Holsworthy, near Liverpool after wading through a reserve.
Man drowns in Sydney river
A man has drowned after his kayak capsized on a river in Sydney’s inner west.
Emergency services were called to the Parramatta River, off Abbotsford Parade in Abbotsford, just after 2.45pm, after the man was seen struggling in the water at Canada Bay.
A member of the public tried to help, before NSW Police arrived.
The Pol Air helicopter was also called.
Sailors rescued from capsized yacht off Wollongong
Two sailors have survived an ocean capsize after a dramatic rescue in extreme sea conditions by the crew of the Royal Australian Navy destroyer HMAS Brisbane.
The pair spent 15 hours in the ocean after their yacht capsized near Wollongong on the NSW South Coast at 1am on Saturday.
The vessel was first reported missing at 1pm, sparking a search by HMAS Brisbane.