The footy world has condemned Carlton for its handling of David Teague and supported the 40-year-old after he was given his marching orders.
The Blues officialy sacked Teague on Thursday after digesting the findings of a review into the club’s football department.
Whoever replaces Teague will become Carlton’s ninth coach since 2000.
Many pundits expected the decision would be announced on Monday, but Carlton kept everyone guessing by delaying making a call on the coach until word finally filtered out Teague had been axed. He reportedly told the playing group of the news on Thursday morning.
Even before the decision to part ways was confirmed, Carlton bosses had come under heavy fire for showing a lack of respect towards Teague and not providing him with enough support, either privately or publicly, as they kept him in limbo.
The criticism ramped up when news of Teague’s sacking broke, as AFL fans lamented how the Blues had mismanaged the entire situation.
Ex-AFLW star Meg Hutchins was scathing in her assessment of Carlton.
“Imagine this – your first two full seasons coaching an AFL team are the COVID effected seasons of 2020 and 2021 … then you’re sacked,” she tweeted. “Putrid by the CFC.
“Just quietly… I don’t think the coach is the problem.
“Feeling for David Teague right now.”
Sports reporter Daniel Garb said “Carlton’s handling of Teague was disgraceful” while former Western Bulldogs star Billy Gowers added: “Sacking David Teague is laughable in my opinion. Surely the club has worked out that getting rid of coaches and players consistently, causing a ridiculously high turnover rate ruins the club and continues the constant anxiousness involved with uncertainty and persistent change.”