Tuesday, May 17, 2022

2-yr old boy operated upon after he swallowed 22 tiny magnetic balls of a game

A New South Wales mother has issued a chilling warning about the dangers of colourful tiny magnetic ball toys after her two-year-old son swallowed 22 of them, sparking a “hell week” that saw him undergo surgery.
Frankie Davis’ older brothers bought the magnet toys from the park, and his mother, Bree, thought nothing of it.
The popular magnetic balls stick together to create shapes and patterns.
“They were very small, so I didn’t see them as a choking hazard, and they looked like pretty fun toys,” she said.

The dangerous toy, the magnetic balls of which the child had swallowed.
The dangerous toy, the magnetic balls of which the child had swallowed.

But she soon discovered the tiny toys could do a huge amount of damage.
She said the first sign something was wrong was when Frankie complained of his stomach being sore and then started vomiting.
Over the next week, it took four trips to hospital before doctors figured out what was going on inside Frankie’s body.
“They decided to go in for surgery with a camera, to see what they could find, she said.
Too small to show up in an ultrasound, medics discovered the high-powered magnets had dug into the two-year-old’s organs and torn a hole in his digestive system.
“They managed to find 22 in total, around his bowel and small intestine,” she said.
He was in surgery for three hours at Sydney’s Randwick Children’s Hospital, and has made a full recovery.
The couple wants to warn other families of the dangers of the toys.
The magnets have been banned in Australia for 10 years but they can still be bought online and at market stalls.

Latest news

How’s thaatttt ! Minister XI vs High Commissioner XI Community Cricket Match

By Fiji Times Team Sydneysiders attended one-of-a-kind Minister XI vs High Commissioner XI Community Cricket Match organised by Australian-Indian Sports Educational and Cultural Society (AISECS,...

Masks may be back as COVID-19, flu surge across Australia

Doctors are pushing for indoor mask mandates to be introduced as COVID-19 numbers surge in several Australian states. Earlier this week Australian Medical Association (AMA) president...

NSW mayor stabbed in violent home invasion

An NSW mayor is in hospital after a group of intruders forced their way into his house and stabbed him. Police were told five to six men broke...

Plastic bag ban in NSW from June 1

New South Wales will from next month join the rest of Australia in banning single use plastic bags - with more bans to come later...

Related news

How’s thaatttt ! Minister XI vs High Commissioner XI Community Cricket Match

By Fiji Times Team Sydneysiders attended one-of-a-kind Minister XI vs High Commissioner XI Community Cricket Match organised by Australian-Indian Sports Educational and Cultural Society (AISECS,...

Masks may be back as COVID-19, flu surge across Australia

NSW mayor stabbed in violent home invasion

An NSW mayor is in hospital after a group of intruders forced their way into his house and stabbed him. Police were told five to six men broke...

Plastic bag ban in NSW from June 1

New South Wales will from next month join the rest of Australia in banning single use plastic bags - with more bans to come later...

DC defeat Punjab Kings, Capitals in top four now

DC spinners Axar Patel and Kuldeep Yadav delivered in the middle overs as Shardul  Thakur alone complemented the duo with 4 wickets as Delhi...

Ukrainian soldiers claim reaching Russian Border; UK Intel says Russian army losing steam

The United Kingdom's Ministry of Defence has released an update on the situation in Ukraine where it has stated that Russian forces have suffered...

Chief Secretaries’ meet likely to be held at Dharamshala in June

Chief Executive officer (CEO) of NITI Aayog Amitabh Kant called on Chief Minister Jai Ram Thakur in Shimla on Monday. Discussions were held about organizing...

LABOR CARES FOR THE ELDERLY SOUTH ASIAN COMMUNITY IN NSW

An Albanese Labor Government will help deliver better aged care services for the South Asian community in New South Wales by investing in aged...